At the moment of belief, we are anointed by the Holy Spirit and he comes to live inside of us. Every minute of every day since I first invited Jesus into my heart, he has been here, living, watching, feeling, and cheering for me this whole time. Even when I forget about him, he NEVER forgets about me. He just watches and waits for me to look up again.
Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? ~1 Cor 3:16
Thankfully, he’s not fickle like me. He doesn’t just try to show up for the problems in life or leave when he feels like it. The Bible says that God doesn’t even sleep. He never abandons us or leaves us. He is always completely faithful. If I ever feel differently, it’s because I’ve stopped paying attention.
When we stop paying attention to the presence of Christ in our lives, we can develop an attitude that we’ve got it under control. I often find myself in an exhaustive tug-of-war between what God wants me to do and what I want to do. And isn’t that the story of our human nature? We are forever on the fence, weighing the options, like anything besides God could really stand a chance to make us happy.
Here are some things I like to do to constantly stay aware of the Spirit in me:
- Prayer for me. Simple, uncomplicated: “Lord I can’t, but you can! I give my burden to you”
- Prayer for you. Talk to God on behalf of someone else.
- Text some love. Who can use a hug or an encouraging word?
- Act. What can you do for someone to make their day a little less stressful?
- Remember joy. What do you have to be joyful about? Think on those things
- What else can you do?
It’s difficult, but absolutely worth the trouble to keep constantly aware of His presence. And the peace that comes of it? It’s beyond comprehension.